Wild Mushroom Galette is a savory pastry dish that is both visually stunning and delicious. A galette is a free-form pastry that is filled with various ingredients, and this version features a mix of sautéed wild mushrooms, herbs, and a blend of cheeses. The filling is wrapped in a flaky pastry crust, creating a dish that is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. The earthy flavors of the mushrooms and herbs are complemented by the nutty richness of the cheeses, making for a perfect appetizer or light meal.
This recipe is perfect for those looking for a vegetarian or meatless option. The wild mushrooms provide a meaty texture and umami flavor that will satisfy even the most carnivorous of diners. The galette is easy to customize, allowing you to swap out the mushrooms for your favorite seasonal vegetables or add additional herbs and spices to suit your taste. Serve it with a simple green salad dressed with a light vinaigrette to create a balanced meal that is both elegant and satisfying.
If you’re looking for a new way to enjoy wild mushrooms, consider making a delicious and savory Wild Mushroom Galette. This savory pastry dish is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a light lunch. It’s made with a flaky pastry crust and filled with a savory mixture of wild mushrooms, herbs, and cheese. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to make this delicious dish.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make a Wild Mushroom Galette:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup of ice water
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 lb of mixed wild mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup of fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
1. To prepare the pastry crust, follow these steps:
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and sugar.
3. Add the butter and use your fingers to rub it into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse sand.
4. Add the ice water and mix until the dough comes together.
5. Gather the dough into a ball and flatten into a disk.
6. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
7. To prepare the filling, follow these steps:
8. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
9. Add the shallot and sauté until translucent.
10. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid has evaporated.
11. Add the parsley, thyme, heavy cream, and Parmesan cheese and cook until the mixture thickens.
12. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To assemble the galette, follow these steps:
Preheat the oven to 400°F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spoon the mushroom mixture onto the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the border over the mushroom mixture, pleating it as you go. Brush the crust with the beaten egg yolk. Bake the galette for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Tips and Tricks For best results, use a mixture of different wild mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster, and cremini. Make sure to clean the mushrooms thoroughly before slicing. To save time, you can use store-bought pastry dough instead of making your own.
Wild Mushroom Galette is a delicious and savory pastry dish that’s perfect for any meal of the day. The combination of wild mushrooms, herbs, and cheese creates a rich and satisfying flavor that’s sure to impress your guests. With a few simple steps, you can make this dish at home and enjoy the flavors of the forest in the comfort of your own kitchen.
1. Can I make the pastry dough ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the pastry dough up to 3 days ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
2. Can I freeze the galette?
Yes, you can freeze the galette after it has been baked. Let it cool completely, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil before placing it in the freezer. To reheat, thaw the galette in the refrigerator overnight and then bake in a preheated oven at 350°F until heated through.
3. Can I use different types of cheese in the filling?
Yes, you can use different types of cheese in the filling to add different flavors. Gruyere, goat cheese, or fontina would all work well in this recipe.
4. Can I make the galette without the heavy cream?
Yes, you can make the galette without the heavy cream, but the filling may not be as creamy. You can substitute with milk or half-and-half.
5. Can I add other ingredients to the filling?
Yes, you can add other ingredients to the filling, such as cooked bacon, caramelized onions, or roasted garlic, to customize the flavor to your liking.