Green Beans Almondine is a simple and classic French side dish that is perfect for any occasion. This dish features fresh green beans that are lightly blanched and sautéed with butter, garlic, and sliced almonds until tender and flavorful. The addition of lemon juice and zest adds a bright and fresh note to this dish. The almonds add a crunchy texture and nutty flavor, which pairs perfectly with the tender green beans. This dish is easy to prepare and is a great side dish that can be served with any main course.
To prepare Green Beans Almondine, start by blanching the green beans in boiling water for a few minutes until they are crisp-tender. Then, sauté sliced almonds in butter and garlic until lightly browned and fragrant. Add the blanched green beans to the skillet and toss with the almond mixture until well-coated. Season with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. This dish can be served hot, warm, or at room temperature and is a great addition to any holiday table or weeknight dinner. It’s a simple and elegant way to enjoy the natural flavors of fresh green beans.
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy side dish, look no further than green beans almondine. This classic French dish is simple to make and packs a flavorful punch. Here’s how to whip up a batch of your own.
To make green beans almondine, you’ll need:
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Follow these steps to create a perfect batch of green beans almondine:
2. Begin by washing and trimming the green beans. Snap off the stem end of each bean and discard any tough or discolored parts.
3. Fill a large pot with salted water and bring it to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until they’re bright green and tender.
4. Drain the green beans and immediately plunge them into a bowl of ice water. This will stop the cooking process and help the beans retain their bright color.
5. In a separate pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sliced almonds and cook until they’re golden brown, stirring frequently.
6. Add the lemon juice to the pan and stir to combine.
7. Add the green beans to the pan and toss to coat them in the butter and almond mixture.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve the green beans almondine hot and enjoy!
There are a few ways to switch up this recipe and make it your own. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Add garlic For a little extra flavor, mince 1-2 cloves of garlic and sauté them with the almonds and butter. Use different nuts Almonds are traditional for green beans almondine, but you could also try using toasted hazelnuts, pecans, or walnuts. Add cheese Toss some grated Parmesan cheese over the top of the green beans before serving.
Green beans almondine is a classic side dish that’s perfect for any occasion. With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a flavorful and nutritious dish that everyone will love. Try out this recipe for your next dinner party or family meal and see for yourself just how delicious it can be.
1. Can I use frozen green beans instead of fresh?
Yes, frozen green beans will work just as well in this recipe. Just be sure to thaw them first and pat them dry with a paper towel.
2. How long will leftovers keep?
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat them in the microwave or on the stove before serving.
3. Can I make this recipe vegan?
Yes, simply swap out the butter for a vegan butter substitute or olive oil.
4. Can I use other types of beans?
While this recipe is traditionally made with green beans, you could also try it with haricots verts (thin French green beans) or wax beans.
5. What can I serve with green beans almondine?
This dish pairs well with a variety of main courses, such as roasted chicken, grilled fish, or steak.