Creamy bean soup with sausage is a delicious and hearty dish that is perfect for a cold winter day. The soup is made with creamy white beans, spicy Italian sausage, and a variety of aromatic vegetables like onions, carrots, and celery. The creamy texture of the soup is achieved by blending a portion of the cooked beans, which gives it a rich and velvety consistency. This soup is easy to make and can be customized to your liking by adding your favorite spices and seasonings.
To make the soup, start by sautéing the sausage until it is cooked through and browned. Then, add the chopped vegetables and cook until they are tender. Next, add the beans, chicken stock, and a bay leaf and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes. After the soup has cooked, blend about half of the soup until it is smooth, and then add it back to the pot. Finally, add some heavy cream to the soup to make it creamy and rich. Serve the soup hot with some crusty bread and enjoy!
Are you looking for a comforting and filling meal to warm you up on a chilly day? Look no further than this creamy bean soup with sausage recipe! Packed with protein and flavor, this soup is sure to satisfy your cravings and leave you feeling satisfied. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps of making this delicious soup from scratch, and provide tips and tricks to ensure it turns out perfectly every time.
To make this creamy bean soup with sausage, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Before you start cooking, make sure to prep all your ingredients. Chop the onion, carrots, and celery, and mince the garlic. Drain and rinse the beans, and measure out the chicken broth and heavy cream. This will make the cooking process smoother and more efficient.
1. Cooking the Sausage: In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula, until browned and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked sausage to a bowl and set aside.
2. Sautéing the Vegetables: Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and add the chopped onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the onion is translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Adding the Beans and Broth: Add the cooked sausage back to the pot, along with the drained and rinsed beans, chicken broth, thyme, oregano, and bay leaf. Stir to combine and bring the soup to a boil.
4. Simmering the Soup: Reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for 30-40 minutes, until the vegetables are very tender and the flavors have melded together.
5. Blending the Soup: Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender in batches and blend until smooth and creamy.
6. Adding the Cream: Return the blended soup to the pot and stir in the heavy cream. Heat over low heat until warmed through.
7. Serving the Soup: Ladle the creamy bean soup with sausage into bowls and serve hot, garnished with fresh herbs, grated Parmesan cheese, or croutons.
8. Storing Leftovers: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply heat the soup on the stove over low heat, stirring occasionally, until warmed through.
If you don’t have sweet Italian sausage, you can use any type of sausage you like, such as spicy Italian sausage or chorizo, For a vegetarian version, omit the sausage and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, If you prefer a chunkier soup, you can mash some of the beans with a fork before blending to add more texture, For a lighter version, you can use half-and-half or whole milk instead of heavy cream, Serve with a side of crusty bread or a salad for a complete meal.
Creamy bean soup with sausage is a delicious and hearty meal that’s perfect for a cozy night in. With a few simple ingredients and some basic kitchen equipment, you can make this soup from scratch and enjoy a comforting and satisfying meal. Whether you’re a fan of sausage or prefer a vegetarian version, this recipe is versatile and customizable to suit your tastes. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
1. Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, you can freeze this soup for up to 2-3 months. Just make sure to let it cool completely before transferring to a freezer-safe container.
2. Can I use canned tomatoes in this recipe?
While canned tomatoes are not traditionally used in creamy bean soup, you can certainly add them for a different flavor profile. Simply add a can of diced tomatoes (drained) along with the other ingredients.
3. Can I use a different type of bean?
Yes, you can use any type of white bean in this recipe, such as navy beans or great northern beans.
4. Can I make this soup in advance?
Yes, you can make this soup ahead of time and reheat it on the stove when ready to serve.
5. Can I use an immersion blender instead of a regular blender?
Yes, an immersion blender works well for blending the soup directly in the pot, without having to transfer it to a blender.