Classic potato salad is a popular dish that’s perfect for summer picnics, barbecues, and potlucks. It’s a simple and easy-to-make dish that can be served as a side dish or a light meal. The key to making a great potato salad is to choose the right potatoes, cook them properly, and use fresh ingredients for the dressing. Yukon Gold potatoes are a popular choice for potato salad because they have a creamy texture and hold their shape well when boiled. After the potatoes are cooked and cooled, they can be mixed with a variety of ingredients such as chopped celery, red onion, hard-boiled eggs, and pickles. The dressing is typically made with mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar, although some recipes use sour cream or yogurt for a tangier flavor.
One of the great things about classic potato salad is that it can be customized to suit your tastes. Some people like to add bacon, chives, or dill to their potato salad, while others prefer a sweeter dressing with relish or sugar. Whatever your preference, potato salad is a versatile and satisfying dish that’s sure to please a crowd. It’s also easy to make ahead of time and can be stored in the refrigerator for several days, making it a convenient option for busy weeknights or meal prep. Whether you’re enjoying it as a side dish or a main course, classic potato salad is a timeless classic that’s always in season.
Potato salad is a classic side dish that is perfect for picnics, BBQs, and potlucks. It is easy to make, and everyone loves it. In this article, we will be sharing a delicious and classic recipe for potato salad that is sure to be a hit at your next gathering. Follow along with our step-by-step instructions, and you’ll have a bowl of creamy, flavorful potato salad in no time.
Before we get started, let’s gather all the ingredients we need to make this classic potato salad. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 pounds of potatoes
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 cup of diced celery
- 1/2 cup of diced red onion
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1. Start by washing the potatoes and cutting them into small cubes. Place them in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10-12 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain the potatoes and set them aside to cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and black pepper until well combined.
3. Once the potatoes have cooled, add them to the bowl with the dressing. Add the diced celery, red onion, chopped parsley, and chopped hard-boiled eggs. Mix everything together until the potatoes are well coated with the dressing.
4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
5.When you’re ready to serve, give the potato salad a good stir and garnish with additional chopped parsley, if desired.
For the best flavor, use fresh ingredients. This includes fresh parsley and freshly boiled eggs. Be sure to allow the potato salad to chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld together and create a more delicious salad. If you’re short on time, you can use store-bought hard-boiled eggs or skip them altogether. Don’t overcook the potatoes! You want them to be fork-tender but still firm enough to hold their shape in the salad. If you like a creamier potato salad, you can add a little more mayonnaise or a splash of milk to the dressing.
Potato salad is a classic side dish that everyone loves. With this delicious recipe, you can make a bowl of creamy, flavorful potato salad that is perfect for any occasion. Follow our step-by-step instructions, and you’ll have a crowd-pleasing side dish that is sure to be a hit at your next gathering. Whether you’re hosting a backyard BBQ or attending a potluck with friends, this classic potato salad is the perfect addition to any menu. With its creamy texture, tangy dressing, and flavorful mix-ins, it’s sure to be a crowd favorite.
So why not give this recipe a try? It’s easy to make, requires just a few simple ingredients, and can be customized to suit your tastes. Plus, with our tips for success and variations, you can make it your own and create a potato salad that is truly unique.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe and that it becomes a staple in your recipe collection. Happy cooking!
1. Can I make this potato salad ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this potato salad up to 1 day ahead of time. Simply cover it and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
2. Can I use a different type of potato for this recipe?
Yes, you can use any type of potato you like for this recipe. However, we recommend using waxy potatoes like Yukon Gold or red potatoes for the best texture.
3. Can I omit the hard-boiled eggs?
Yes, you can omit the hard-boiled eggs if you prefer. The potato salad will still be delicious without them.
4. Can I double this recipe for a larger crowd?
Yes, you can easily double or triple this recipe to feed a larger crowd. Just be sure to use a larger mixing bowl to accommodate all the ingredients.
5. How long will leftovers keep in the refrigerator?
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Just be sure to store them in an airtight container to keep them fresh.