Brussels sprouts gratin is a delicious and comforting side dish that is perfect for any holiday gathering or family dinner. This recipe takes the classic roasted Brussels sprouts to the next level by adding a creamy and cheesy layer on top. The dish is easy to prepare and can be made ahead of time, making it a great option for busy days. The Brussels sprouts are roasted until tender and then baked in a creamy sauce made with heavy cream, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. The dish is then topped with a layer of buttery breadcrumbs and more cheese before being baked to golden perfection. The result is a rich and decadent side dish that is sure to impress.
This Brussels sprouts gratin recipe is also versatile and can be adapted to suit different tastes and dietary restrictions. For a healthier version, you can substitute heavy cream with low-fat milk and use whole wheat breadcrumbs. You can also add some diced bacon or pancetta to the dish for a smoky flavor, or replace Parmesan cheese with Gruyere or cheddar for a different taste. The gratin is best served hot, straight out of the oven, and pairs well with roasted chicken, turkey, or pork.
Are you looking for a side dish that is easy to make and packed with flavor? Look no further than Brussels sprouts gratin! This creamy and cheesy dish is perfect for any occasion and is sure to impress your guests. In this article, we will cover everything you need to know to make the perfect Brussels sprouts gratin.
Brussels sprouts gratin is a dish made from Brussels sprouts that are baked in a creamy and cheesy sauce. The dish is typically topped with breadcrumbs or Parmesan cheese and is served as a side dish. Brussels sprouts gratin is a popular dish during the holiday season, but it can be enjoyed year-round.
To make Brussels sprouts gratin, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
3. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth.
4. Add the heavy cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to the saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
5. Add the Parmesan cheese to the sauce and stir until melted.
6. In a large baking dish, arrange the Brussels sprouts in a single layer. Pour the sauce over the Brussels sprouts.
7. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top of the sauce.
8. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the sauce is bubbly.
There are many ways to customize your Brussels sprouts gratin to suit your taste preferences. Here are some ideas:
Add bacon or pancetta for a smoky flavor. Substitute Gruyere cheese for the Parmesan cheese. Top the dish with sliced almonds or pine nuts for a crunchy texture. Add garlic to the sauce for extra flavor. Serving Suggestions What to Serve with Brussels Sprouts Gratin Brussels sprouts gratin is a versatile dish that can be served with many different entrees. Here are some ideas: Roasted chicken, Grilled steak, Baked salmon, Fried tofu.
Brussels sprouts gratin is a delicious and easy side dish that is sure to impress your guests. With its creamy sauce and cheesy topping, it is a crowd-pleaser that can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Try making Brussels sprouts gratin for your next dinner party or holiday gathering – your guests will thank you!
1. Can I make Brussels sprouts gratin ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Brussels sprouts gratin ahead of time and reheat it in the oven before serving.
2. Can I use frozen Brussels sprouts for this recipe?
While fresh Brussels sprouts are While fresh Brussels sprouts are recommended for this recipe, you can use frozen Brussels sprouts if fresh ones are not available. Simply thaw and drain them before cooking.
3. Can I make Brussels sprouts gratin without breadcrumbs?
Yes, you can omit the breadcrumbs if you prefer. The dish will still be delicious without them.
4. Can I use a different type of cheese for this recipe?
Yes, you can substitute any type of cheese for the Parmesan cheese, depending on your taste preferences.
5. How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes about 6 servings, depending on portion size.